If you have more squads than your villages food production can support, then you will start to lose stockpiled food. When you run out of stockpiled food your squads will starve. If your squads are starving, then your squads will be defeated in fights you should have won. When training squads keep in mind the increased food upkeep.
Do what you can to avoid starving. You can strike at enemy food production to starve him. Starving will put a player at a large disadvantage.
- -Try taking a village with food production.
- -Factions may have techs that reduce upkeep, or boost food production.
- -Factions may have have prayers that reduce upkeep or boost production.
- -Make sure your village farms are producing food.
- -You can disband some of your excess squads.
The viking upkeep reduction tech is basically required for the vikings as the game progresses. The saxons and germans upkeep reduction is useful but not required. While the slavs should frequently use the upkeep prayer. Both the vikings and slavs have a production boost tech. This boosts your production for your base, and can be useful but not amazing.