Dota Underlords - How to Win Matches > MGW: Video Game Guides, Cheats, Tips and Tricks
Dota Underlords – How to Win Matches
How to Win Matches
1) AI matches are your dearest friend if you’re just starting out. Look, Dota Underlords is a tough game. You may not control any units directly, but you have to make an awful lot of decisions in a very short space of time each round. Do yourself a favour and play against the AI without any timers for the first 5 games at least.
2) Learn when it’s best to buy XP and level up. There are certain rounds where it’s a better idea to buy XP than others, simply because of the way XP works. On round 5, for example, a single XP purchase will neatly upgrade your Player Level from 4 to 5. Learn when these moments present themselves throughout a match.
3) Don’t be afraid to buy heroes and sell them later. A big mistake most new players make is that they’re too hesitant to buy new heroes each round unless they’re absolutely sure that they’ll fit perfectly in with the build they’re working on. Experienced players know to buy a multitude of heroes to give them the freedom to head in several different directions with their build.
4) Take advantage of the scoreboard view. The scoreboard view can be accessed by holding TAB (by default), or by clicking the button above the player icons on the left-hand side. It breaks down each player’s roster of heroes, alliances, net worth of their board, and lots of other useful tidbits of info – all in one screen. Learn to read this screen quickly to find the information you need.
5) Conserve gold during the shopping phase, shop during the battle phase. You can still buy from the shop while fights are going on – and you should, too. Your gold interest for the next round is calculated the moment the shopping phase ends, which means if you’re sitting at 40 gold but you need to buy a certain hero, it’s often best to wait until the fight starts so you get that +4 gold interest next round, and buy the hero during the fight.
6) Pay attention to the hero pool. All the heroes you see in the shop are taken from a pool shared with all other players. So if you’re seeing and buying multiple Axes, that means you’re lessening the chances of other players getting Axes in their shops/armies. Use this knowledge to work out the probability of you continuing to find certain heroes in the shop.
7) Learn when to say “screw alliances” and buy a Kunkka just because Kunkka’s amazing. When you’re first starting out it feels like Alliances are the Big Thing to focus on if you want to win, but they’re no more important than having a great selection of individual heroes and abilities. Whatever your build, certain heroes like Kunkka or Doom will always find a place, because their abilities are just that useful.
8) If you can’t figure out what’s going wrong, it may be your positioning. Sometimes all it takes to go from losing the previous round to winning the next one is shuffling about your heroes on your board. Pay attention to adjacency benefits, which of your heroes keep dying before they pop their abilities, etc.
9) Check your DPS tab every round. The DPS tab is accessed on the right-hand side of your screen, and will break down various stats from the past few rounds. Click anywhere on the tab to switch which stat you want to check (Damage, DPS, Damage Taken, Healing, Kills).
10) Global items based on specific alliances are super-powerful. Of the 32 Global Items available in Dota Underlords, 20 of them apply to specific Alliance types, often buffing them greatly. Pay attention to these, because some are so game-changing that you may wish to alter your build on the fly to suit a certain Item.