Useful Tips & Tricks
1. Save often and to different places. This is normal but sometimes overlooked. You may have to come back to your earlier save if something special happens making the game unbeatable.
2. Generally the game can be played as you wish but mostly the previously selected skills of your characters are worthwhile to be developed fast.
3. What is the purpose of the game really? It is to beat your enemy; with your stronger army or better use of your skills and tactics. Logistics and fighting skills are both important.
4. Developing towns or capturing creature dwellings is important. I try to think for the current week to have optimum troops which can be recruited / created at the first day of the next week.
5. You can not carry your precious troops to next mission so developing your attributes, experience / levelling and magic skills are also important. It could mean that before rushing to the next mission you could use some time developing your character.
6. Overall tactics is surprisingly important (and the skill is also not a waste). Where you position your troop before the battle start quite much decides how the fight will start (computer AI).
7. You do not have to position all of your (weak) troops if fighting ranged troops or troops with magic skills.
8. I like higher tier troops more than low level as you have more hit point to cover from retaliation and overall performance is better. But this depends on situation as for example Necros should use those skeleton archers and other troops as their main attacking fist.
9. There are a lot of small details you can do to achieve better performance with your troops and skills. Many times with careful planning and tactics you may end of losing no troops at all.
10. Initiative. I love the initiative system as it makes new tactical things possible. For example you can slower or haste your troops or cast the next enemy character supposed to move with puppet master etc. You can also plan when is your time to move and when not. Sometimes your faster troops can even hit and return before enemy troops reacting.
11. This can be personal but I prefer mass effects and indirect ways of damaging more than direct damage. Direct damage is cool on early on the mission but against 50+ Paladins may not be enough – but spells like mass slow, confusion, puppet master or Arcane Shield to your strongest stack could mean more on the long run.
12. Most of skills are really useful if practiced in the right way. So keep thinking the way to use them in different situations. For example Phantom Forces spell can be useful to double your ranged strength, in focusing enemy fire (and hopefully missing the turn because of the incorporeal nature of the spell), blocking your enemy to reach your weak ranged force etc.
13. Every battle is different so positioning your troops remembering the current terrain and to protect your weaker troops, to think your enemy positioning, using blocking or troops with only 1 unit as blocker or spell users can all be useful. Trying different things is part of the fun!
14. You usually win if you take the initiative during the mission, attacking first, be faster capturing resources etc.
15. Remember. In campaigns enemies are the dumb and controlled by computer, you are the only real heroes of might and magic there!