Accuracy is a number which directly impacts your chances to hit a target or not and if the hit connects to determine whether it is a graze, a hit or a crit.
The maths behind it may seem difficult at first but it is in fact very simple.
Your Accuracy score is compared to the target’s appropriate Defense type and the substraction of the two will be added to your dice roll to determine whether your attack connects or not.
For example if you have an Accuracy of 50 with your weapon attack and the enemy has 30 in Deflection you will get a bonus of 20 (= 50 – 30) to your dice roll. The dice can roll from 1 to 100 and the final total of your roll + the bonus or penalty you got from the difference between Accuracy and Defense determines the type of hit you do.
The outcome is:
- -0 – 25 : the action misses and has no effect at all.
- -25 – 50 : the action is a Graze and deals 50% less damage or lasts only half the duration.
- -50 – 99 : the action is a Hit, the effects are the normal ones.
- -100 and beyond : the action is a Crit dealing +25% of damage or lasting 25% longer.
It’s worth nothing that in this game compared to the previous one Grazes are treated a bit differently and some abilities can have special interactions with it such as being able to interrupt even when doing a Graze for example. Be sure to check your abilities and conditions of applications of effect.
Let’s take a a real example of an attack extracted from a combat log.
This example first shows the Hit calculation as follows:
- -The Accuracy Score if 86 and the Deflection of the target is 66 which makes a bonus to the dice roll of 20 (=86 – 66).
- -The Roll is 25.
- -25 + 20 = 45 which results in a Graze.
This shows that Accuracy is very powerful and any point invested in it improves not only your chances to hit and crit but at the same time makes you closer to avoid entirely to miss your target.
One important factor to keep in mind is that for abilities with multiple effects such as a damage output + an affliction effect the rolls are done seperately (and the Defenses can be entirely different). So your Damage can be a crit while the effect can miss entirely, be a graze or anything else.